Saturday, June 13, 2009

A weekend walk in the park...


I just returned from a pleasant visit to the park, in Salcedo Village, where I sat on a bench and people-watched. The park is a perfect place for this activity as there are so many people to see: nannies pushing prams, young mothers watching children on the playground, people strolling leisurely along the walks, and professionals taking a break from their office, enjoying their lunch outdoors.

However, in addition to just looking at the passersby, I also was also reading about human behavior. An elderly couple strolled past me, arm in arm, talking, giggling, and seeming to enjoy each other's company. Their giggling was a bit unexpected, but certainly pleasant. At one point, they stopped and he kissed her on her forehead before the giggling began again and they walked on.

Near the playground, a young boy and an older woman were crouched on the ground, looking at something in the grass. The woman, possibly a grandmother, seemed to be explaining something to the child. Other children joined them and, suddenly, a small group was receiving what I imagined was a nature lesson. Then, a teenage girl glided past me on roller blades, grinning wickedly, her long brown hair flowing behind her. Behind her a young woman who was also on skates, but seemed to be having difficulty keeping up, called out, "Wait up!"

As you know, my attention focuses on what makes people tick and how they act with others. I have long been interested in how people behave and interact. I guess you could say that people-watching is one of my hobbies. The best thing is that you can people-watch almost anywhere -- in the park, the local bookstore, a tea or coffee shop, or even a shopping mall. It is a very inexpensive hobby, which costs no more than the price of a cup of tea or coffee.

It can be fascinating watching our fellow human beings. If you aren't already a people-watcher, I invite you to give it a try. You may find that it opens your mind to human nature. And you may even see aspects of yourself in others, as I sometimes do. Regardless, you won't be bored.

No comments:

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 078c4c0cbc1e83019920e3dce1a1adc3