Saturday, February 14, 2009

Contentment...


Sometimes I feel that our culture has become too obsessed with the idea of finding happiness. Advertising is constantly bombarding us with products, and lifestyles that promise to make our lives better and easier.

While I am a big believer in seeking contentment in life, I know that a breakfast cereal or certain car model is not going to help me find it. Moreover, I don't believe it is possible to achieve a constant state of happiness. Just think about it, the feeling of being intensely happy never lasts for long. Yes, we can be happy about a new job, extra money or even a bigger car, but such feelings of happiness and elation are fleeting.

The people who seem to have the most contentment in life have something that brings them a sense of purpose. It could be a creative project, involvement helping others or even a spiritual quest. For myself, I have discovered that my work as an adviser is what makes me feel good. However, it is different for everyone and this is what I share with my clients when they come to me needing direction or lacking enthusiasm in their lives. I ask them to think about the things that bring meaning to their life and that give them a sense of purpose and then look for ways to fulfill that purpose.

Sometimes it could be something as small as taking a little walk in nature, tending a garden or calling to check up on a friend or neighbor. The positive feelings these moments bring are mean to be savored. There are many ways to experience contentment in your life. You just have to find what works for you. In my experience, once you start this process, it becomes easier and easier. It is about taking the time to honor our selves and those around us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice read Marian! A little bit OT, in my Korean class last week I was asked "onje jeil hwaga nayo?" which means "when do you get upset most?" I couldn't answer immediately. I had to think for about 10 minutes since I don't get upset often as I always think positively and I'm a happy person. Then I remember the Philippine government officials.

Happy Valentine's Day!

marian said...

yes, when i get to think about it too, kahit wala kang reason, it just upsets you. like what happened last friday, MMDA officials cut down all the trees along Katipunan Ave, for their road widening projects. some people say, some of the trees there are more than 20 years old. now, that's upsetting, diba?

Anonymous said...

I guess lahat ng mga nangyayari ngayon hindi lang dito sa 'pinas kundi sa buong mundo is kind of upsetting and depressing..

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled 078c4c0cbc1e83019920e3dce1a1adc3